New Vista School is a 501(c)(3), WASC accredited independent school serving the needs of Orange County students with ASD in grades 6-12 and beyond. Our mission is to provide a structured, safe environment of academic, social, and transition skills instruction for students within the autism community. Our school community is guided by the following values: Respect, Responsibility, Initiative, Problem Solving, and Resiliency. Through these values, we demonstrate care, support, and high expectations for our students.
What Makes Us Unique
In southern California, New Vista School is the only school of its kind designed specifically for students with high functioning autism. New Vista School provides:
- a welcoming and supportive environment with teachers and other specialized staff members prepared to address the special needs that go along with an ASD diagnosis
- programs that maximize the personal achievement and independence of our students
- small class sizes, research-based programs, and integrated learning environments
- a social skills program that is integrated into every aspect of our students’ educational experience
- additional support to bridge the gap between high school and adult life
The New Vista School™ (NVS) is a small independent institution that was established forty years ago as La Monte Academie with the goal of serving students with special needs in the Orange County area. The name was changed to New Vista School in 2006 and the mission narrowed to serve students who are diagnosed with high functioning Autism, and similar learning disabilities.
New Location AcquiredLa Monte Academy acquired the current location to serve children with “different learning styles”
School TransformationLe Monte Academy is transformed into New Vista School with its present focus on high functioning Autism and related disorders.
Curriculum RestructuredRestructured of curriculum and student support to align with research-based best practices
1st Annual Golf TournamentThe New Vista School Golf Tournament began to support continuing school development
Social Skills IntegrationSocial Skills based on PEERS research at UCLA was integrated in classrooms and curriculum
1st Annual Spring DanceSpring Dance was established at a local hotel with families included in a separate event
TACLE Program Started2013 The Adult Transition Program was established with five off-site job training settings in Orange County.
1st Annual Film FestivalAnnual Film Festival was founded to exhibit work of students in a professional community setting.
6-Year WASC AccreditationNew Vista School received a 6 year WASC accreditation with areas of expertise noted
TACLE becomes Level-UpTACLE was changed to Level-Up, continuing to support students beyond high school
Pathways Grant ReceivedNew Vista Tech Academy receives a Pathways Grant fromCA Department of Education – the only such grant to a non-public school statewide
Students enter New Vista School from a wide range of educational backgrounds including public, private and home schooling programs. Our students come from all over southern California, with the majority being residents of Orange County. The ethnic make-up of the student population is predominately Caucasian (70%) with Asian, Hispanic, and African-American students accounting for the remaining 30%. The gender make-up is 2/3 male and 1/3 female. Students range in age from 11-18 and have a primary diagnose of high-functioning autism or Asperger Syndrome. A significant number of our students have been diagnosed with more than one disability.